This episode features Dr. Michael Hunter, GT/CE; and Dr. Sean Wilson, GTRI/ATAS. They will discuss various technical and application issues, current and future planned work around autonomous vehicles (AV), and a quick look forward to what can be expected. This podcast was hosted by Scott McAtee.
- Dr. Hunter is a professor in the Georgia Tech Civil Engineering department and has been delivering presentations on Autonomous Vehicles for years, including a 2016 Friday Morning Seminar at Georgia Tech Research Institute. His insight is centered around the application and support infrastructure for AV.
- Dr. Sean Wilson is a Senior Research Engineer in the GTRI Aerospace, Transportation & Advanced Systems Laboratory. His insight is centered around the technology needed to implement AV systems, with a focus on Department of Defense projects.
- The podcast questions focused on:
- Each guest’s background in AV and what they are currently doing in the field.
- What the definition of an AV is from their perspective.
- What are the principal drivers of AV systems (Safety? Economics? Cost-Benefit? Other?).
- Where would each guest place the progress of AV systems across the country, by percent AV converted.
- What are the immediate, near-term, and long-term challenges in the AV technology development and application spaces.