Kim Toatley, GTRI’s Senior Director of Finance & Research Administration and interim Talent Management Department Director, and Dr. Susan Margulies, Wallace H. Coulter Professor and Chair in the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) at Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, speak with Monica Ngando about their career paths, being a female leader at Georgia Tech, and their advice to other women (and men) at Georgia Tech.
- In the spirit of Women’s History Month, Kim and Susan shared about their background, their experiences, what they keep in their “toolbox” for success, and what they’d tell others to succeed.
- Kim Toatley is GTRI’s Chief Financial officer, responsible for overseeing the accounting, budgeting, and reporting of almost $700 million in research funding for GTRI. In addition, she serves as the interim head of GTRI’s Talent Management Division, which handles the human resource and training functions for GTRI’s 2800 employees. She is on GTRI’s Executive Council and supervises over 120 employees.
- Dr. Susan Margulies is the Chair of the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering. She has received multiple teaching and research awards, is a fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the Biomedical Engineering Society. She is also the Principal Investigator of Biolocity, an Emory and Georgia Tech life science incubator that has funded 42 projects and led to 22 start-ups, 2 industry licenses, and 3 products on the market.
- Kim Toatley – GTRI profile
- Dr. Susan Margulies – PI profile
- Dr. Susan Margulies – National Academy of Medicine
Other Notable Women at GTRI and Georgia Tech
- Lynn Fountain Named Woman of the Year in Nonprofit Educational Institutions
- Jill Gostin Named Woman of the Year in Technology
- Maryam Alavi Named Woman of the Year for Mid-Size Educational Institutions
- Engineering Georgia Names Four Tech Women Most Influential
- Beth Mynatt Named Vice Chair of CCC
- Amy Bruckman Wikipedia page
- Rebecca Grinter Wikipedia page
- Kaye Husbands Fealing WinsTrailblazer Award
- Ellen Zegura Becomes New CRA Board Chair
- Alliance to Save Energy Honors Marilyn Brown
- Mary Frank Fox Elected AAAS Section Chair
- Janet Murray Wikipedia page
- Kim Harrington Wins Butts-Whiting Award
- Susan Lozier Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences